The question I’m asked the most is regarding the size of my pens.
Here is a guide with lots of comparison photos.
Below are the different size diameter pens I make, measured at the barrel threads, with common pens listed below each similar size as reference. Section diameters are rough and will vary from pen to pen (these are handmade after all).
Slim – .45″/11.5 mm Ø threads, down to .427″/10.8 mm Ø section. The narrowest part is about .37″/9.4 mm.
* Esterbrook J is .45″/11.4 mm at the threads
* Parker 51 about .47″/12 mm at the ring.
Small – .50″/12.5 mm Ø at threads, down to .477″/12.1 mm Ø section. The narrowest part is about .41″/10.4 mm.
* Montblanc 146 is .48″12.2 mm at the threads.
* 1935 Parker Duofold Sr. is .49″/12.5 at the threads.
* Pelikan M800 is .49″/12.5 mm at the threads.
* 1930s Sheaffer OS Balance .49″/12.5 mm at threads.
* Sheaffer PFM/Legacy about .49″/12.5 mm at section/barrel join.
* Lamy Safari .48″/12.3 mm at barrel ring.
* Lamy 2000 .50″/12.7 mm.
Medium – .55″/14 mm Ø threads, down to .527″/13.4 mm Ø section. The narrowest part is about .45″/11.4 mm.
* Pelikan M1000 is about .53″/13.5 mm at the threads.
* Montblanc 149 is .562″/14.3 mm at the threads.
Large – .60″/15.2 5mm Ø threads, down to .57″/14.5 mm Ø section. The narrowest part is about .50″/12.7 mm.
Oversize – .65″/16.5 mm Ø threads, down to .62″/15.75 mm Ø section. The narrowest part is about .55″/ 13.97 mm.
Lengths – Measured with the cap off, from point of nib to end of barrel.
Measurements with cap on may vary depending on style of pen or if it will have a clip.
Shorter – 4.75″ or 120 mm open.
* Esterbrook J is 116 mm long open
Short – 5″ or 127 mm open – long enough to house a converter or other filling system, but no longer than that.
* Parker 51 – 127 mm open.
* Pelikan M800 – 127 mm open.
* Lamy Safari – 129 mm long.
Standard – 5.25″ or 133 mm open.
* Pelikan M1000 – 135 mm open.
* Montblanc 149 – 133 mm open.
Long – 5.5″ or 139.7 mm open.
Extra – 5.75″ or 146 mm open.
Lots of pics to show my pens next to a couple common pens.
Lamy Safari, Small, Slim, Medium, Esterbrook J
Lamy Safari, Slim, Small, Medium, Esterbrook J
Slim, Small, Medium – referring to diameter.
Preston pens (5″ long, ~ .50″ diameter) next to Esterbrook J, Lamy Safari, Pilot G2.
Medium piston, about 136 mm open, 153 closed, 182 posted.
Small piston, about 135 mm open, 147 closed, 173 mm posted.